Frost Roadways and Revelations

The Student News Site of Robert Frost Middle School

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Frost Roadways and Revelations

How to find the perfect spot for your tent

Camping. A way to get out of the house and connect with nature. A way to listen to the birds singing and the water flowing. But you can’t grab your tent and throw it in a random place. You have to find a safe, secure and comfortable camping spot for the best experience. 

“You need to find a flat, firm spot to set up your tent. If you set up at the bottom of a hill rain or mid could get into your tent” says Bob Kuehn an adult in the Boy Scout Troop 1865. If you’re tenting on a hill your nights sleep won’t be very comfortable. If you’re in an RV it’s especially dangerous with the possibility of the RV rolling away. Make sure to sleep with your head facing uphill to stop the blood from rushing to your brain.  

You also need to think about the wildlife that you will be camping around. “Stay away from animal trails, nests and habitats” says Kuehn. You don’t want to disrupt the animals and animals like deer or bears could smell any food you bring into your tent. You can purchase bear proof containers to keep your food safe. Stay away from stagnant water, swamps or small ponds where insects breed.

Camping at the bottom of a valley or canyon can result in an uncomfortable night’s sleep since the bottom of canyons and valleys is usually where it’s coldest or the most humid. “Camp near firewood and flowing water” to ensure you have enough water and fuel for any campfires. 

Camp away from any lone trees, high ridges and mountain tops all of which are likely lightning targets. Sleeping in an open field or forest will do. Remember to double check your tent stakes and make sure they’re securely in the ground. If not, your tent could come loose if a strong gust of wind comes around. 

You can have the best time around your campsite. Go hiking, fishing, play frisbee, cornhole, go on a night walk, play flashlight tag at night, set up a campfire and tell stories or make smores. There are endless options to have fun during your time camping. 

Remember to leave no trace and clean up any trash around your campsite, nature is a beauty and we want to keep it beautiful. I hope this article has provided good information. So grab your tent, grab your sleeping bag. At get camping. 

Donate to Frost Roadways and Revelations

Your donation will support the student journalists of Robert Frost Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.