Frost Roadways and Revelations

The Student News Site of Robert Frost Middle School

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Descendants of Holocaust Survivors deliver devastating and inspiring stories

Ms. Korsen teaching 1st period history classes about her father’s story.

A typical Middle School student knows what the Holocaust is, but only vaguely. The Frost Middle School History department wanted to highlight the struggles people in the Holocaust faced and how that has impacted their descendants. 

Nikki Wagschal Korsen, a Holocaust survivor’s daughter, presented her story during 1st period on April 18 and 19.  Ms. Korsen shared her father’s Holocaust story with 7th grade History classes, talking about different experiences and how they shaped her father’s life as well as her own life.

Ms. Korsen even showed us a document from when her grandmother who was registered to be on the next transport to a concentration camp. Listed in her crimes and reason for Jail was one word. “Jew.” It was heartbreaking to see people’s religions and beliefs being written down as a crime, when they had done nothing wrong.

Ms. Korsen’s father, Jack Wagschal who was only seven at the time,  managed to escape the transport, to a nearby forest, with help from the owner of the orphanage he was staying at, Madame Rossi. However he was forced to only eat berries for three weeks, unsure if they were poisonous or not. It was difficult for such a young boy to be put in these horrible conditions, yet it was the only way to stay safe.

Jack Wagschal survived. Despite all the obstacles and struggles thrown at him he had used his resilience and bravery to escape. As the war finally ended, and Mr. Wagschal got older and older, his entire family began growing. He had children, who had children, who will someday also have children. The Wagschal family will only continue to grow.

“You have to learn to forgive, but never forget,” said Ms. Korson, quoting her father. She wants everyone to recognize and appreciate all the struggles everyday people had to go through during the Holocaust. 

Ms. Korson gives presentations frequently and to share her father’s experience in the Holocaust, which is an amazing and terrifying feat.

We’d also like to highlight the other speakers who dedicated their time to teaching about the Holocaust. Dr Alexander, Ms. Liss, Mr. Schwager, Ms. Heller, Ms. Webber, Mr. Basin, and Ms. Pohoryles all contributed to the further knowledge of the Holocaust by sharing their inspiring and touching stories.

By spreading more awareness of how horrible the Holocaust was, it truly recognizes everyday people’s bravery and strength throughout hard times as well as helps grow students’ knowledge so that another holocaust never happens again. 

Donate to Frost Roadways and Revelations

Your donation will support the student journalists of Robert Frost Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.