Frost Roadways and Revelations

The Student News Site of Robert Frost Middle School

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Frost Roadways and Revelations

The Maze Runner: A review

“Shouldn’t someone give a pep talk or something?” Minho asked, pulling Thomas’s attention away from Alby.

“Go ahead,” Newt replied.                  

Minho nodded and faced the crowd. “Be careful,” he said dryly. “Don’t die.”

Front Cover of The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner is a classic dystopian book that people all around the world enjoy. It was written in 2009 by James Dashner, and followed soon after the film. The film was released in 2014, starring Thomas Brodie-Sangster and Dylan O’Brien.

It became known as one of the best teen dystopian books. The book is set in an post-apocalyptic world where “cranks” roam the world freely. The term “crank” refers to people who had the “flare” which was a disease from a virus that was capable of turning people savage and cannibalistic.

Thomas wakes up with “click clack” as he continues to be traveled in a swaying elevator through a tunnel underground which seems to never end.  Eventually he makes it to the top and as the box opens, he looks around and he sees boys that all look around his age. They throw a rope down for Thomas to pull himself up. The boys have been living in a place called the Glade, it was a huge courtyard surrounded by an enormous 100 foot stone maze. Thomas has no memory of who he is and where he is, he later realizes that the maze is run by 2 boys, Alby and Newt. The elevator comes every week to bring supplies, food, tools, clothes, medicine, and sometimes weapons.

The boys in the glade are very suspicious of Thomas, only a day after he arrived a girl named Terresa came up to the box.  In her hand was a note that said, “She is the last one ever”. She only seemed to recognize Thomas and she even said Thomas’s name as she first woke up.

The book has a 4.7 out of 5 stars on google and I would personally give it a 4.9 out of 5. After reading this book I knew I needed to watch the movie and it became one of my all time favorites. Some of the characters were very lovable and funny. When reading I love books that have lots of action and The Maze Runner has tons. That made me want to read more. If you enjoy smartly written dystopian books with clever characters this book is definitely the right choice for you.

Donate to Frost Roadways and Revelations

Your donation will support the student journalists of Robert Frost Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.