Homework: Is it needed?

Picture of this year’s FIFA World Cup ball

My teacher slowly walks around the classroom, checking whether we completed our homework. The closer she gets to my table, the more nervous I get. I spent the entire night working and stressing over this homework assignment, yet I still wasn’t able to finish it. Once the teacher looks at my incomplete assignment, she’s going to give me a big, fat zero. The teacher checks the table next to mine, then walks over to my table.

Almost all teachers in middle schools assign homework to students. However, most people don’t know how bad homework can be to students. Homework can be a huge cause for stress, as well as not giving students time to do other activities. Studies have also shown that homework doesn’t even help students grow academically.

Homework can greatly affect students by being a cause for stress. According to a site on Britannica, it says that “82% of respondents said that they were ‘often or always stressed by school work.” This shows that students are getting really stressed out about homework. In a similar poll taken by Stanford University, “Five-six per cent of students say their homework is the primary source of stress and exhaustion.” As a student, I was stressed many times as well because of homework, and sometimes spent hours constantly working on it. That is how homework can cause a ton of stress for students.

Homework also takes time away from other activities. According to the article Best 20 Reasons Why Homework Should Be Banned, “If you spend all of your time studying and working hard on your lesson, you will not have enough time to do other tasks.” I think anyone who has been assigned homework can agree that people have to sacrifice other activities they would otherwise be able to do because of homework. 

Some people might argue that homework is good because it helps students grow in school. However, even this is not true. According to the article Should Homework Be Banned?, homework “doesn’t lead to increased academic achievement for younger students: And for older students, homework has only weak links to better achievement.” This shows that homework doesn’t really help students grow academically, and doesn’t help students get better grades in school. That is how homework doesn’t help students academically and is unhelpful for students in school.

Homework is very unhelpful for students, and should not be used anymore in schools. This is because homework leads to stress, takes away from other activities, and doesn’t help students grow academically. I hope this article shows everybody how bad homework can be to the students who are assigned homework.