Frost Roadways and Revelations

The Student News Site of Robert Frost Middle School

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Nagging Your Child: Does It Actually Work?

Have your parents ever yelled at you about something over and over again until you snapped? Most kids have, however have you ever thought about the reasoning behind this?

Most parents have needed to tell their kids to finish something, and when their kids don’t comply, parents start to repeat themselves. This often leads the child to “snap” and start talking back to their parents. Parents shouldn’t keep bothering their kids about tasks they haven’t completed, because most of the time it will lead to arguments.

Studies have shown that nagging teaches kids to not listen to their parents. According to the website, A Fine Parent, scolding your kids will only train them to tune you out. This happens because they will assume that everything you say will either be negative or repeated. 

Additionally, when kids are nagged they can become on edge and frustrated. This ultimately leads to kids doing the exact opposite of what the parent has asked, mostly out of spite.

Distressing your kids can lead to low self esteem. As stated by the website, Schoolbag, nagging doesn’t work on kids because it just sends the message “You are not good enough”. Parents who complain about their kids can end up making them feel that they aren’t good enough for their parents. This can cause the child to try even harder than before to get praised and deemed “good enough,” which may cause unnecessary stress. 

By talking to them normally parents can better discipline their kids. Yelling at them can just make things worse. Complaining about your kids makes them only focus on the negatives of themselves and others, which can lead them to depression and loss of friends. Nobody wants to be around someone who just focuses on the negatives of life. 

Instead of yelling or nagging your kids if they don’t listen to you, try understanding from their point of view why they did what they did and have a talk about it. By yelling it will immediately force your kids to become defensive and guarded. 

Parents should work on building a better relationship with their kids by spending time with them instead of bothering them to do something. Lastly, while a little nagging may be helpful in early life, parents have to let go when their kids start getting into high school and college. That way their kids can grow up to be independent and not rely on their parents all the time. 

Spend time with your kids instead of nagging them to build better relationships

Donate to Frost Roadways and Revelations

Your donation will support the student journalists of Robert Frost Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.