Frost Roadways and Revelations

The Student News Site of Robert Frost Middle School

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Frost Roadways and Revelations

Commanders take new quarterback at number 2 pick

CBS

On a cold Thursday night in Detroit, Michigan, lies the future of many hopeful college students. By this, one could deduce, the NFL Draft. Who will the Washington Commanders pick?

After trading Sam Howell, the Commanders’ biggest need is at quarterback. With one of the best quarterback classes we’ve ever seen, the choice of quarterback is a very hard one to make. Before the draft, they narrowed it down to two quarterbacks, Jayden Daniels and Drake Maye.

“The most dynamic dual-threat signal-caller the draft has seen in a while,” said Mel Kiper, ESPN draft analyst, regarding Jayden Daniels.

Jayden Daniels, a redshirt senior quarterback out of LSU, is often regarded as one of the best quarterbacks in this year’s class. After having one of the best college seasons of all time, and winning the Heisman Trophy, it seems like a no-brainer taking Daniels. Yet, there are other options.

“He’s a gifted thrower who drives the ball without much foot space in the pocket (including with defenders hanging on him).” said Daniel Jerimiah, NFL Analyst, about Drake Maye.

Drake Maye is a redshirt sophomore quarterback out of UNC. Maye finished his college career with 8018 total passing yards, and 63 total passing touchdowns. in his three years. While both, Daniels and Maye, are good quarterbacks, the Commanders could only take one.

“With the second overall pick, in the 2024 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select, Jayden Daniels, quarterback, LSU,” announced Roger Godell, the commissioner of the NFL.

The Commanders have had quarterback trouble for a long while, not being able to find the franchise guy, and they hope to solve this with their number 2 pick. Though they had no other first round picks, their primary concern was quarterback, and a quarterback they got.

I really like this pick, it’s an ideal situation for a rookie, with a new coach, owner, and quarterback. Daniels and the new staff can grow together, and he may be the best quarterback in the class, claimed Pete Prisco, NFL Analyst

With the removal of Dan Snyder at the Owner position, and the firing of Ron Rivera at the Head Coach position, along with a new GM (General Manager) the Commanders have a complete factory reset, where Daniels can grow and thrive.

“Jayden Daniels is average at best, and as an Eagles fan, I do not feel very scared of this new quarterback,” claimed Lucas Theodore, a fan of the Commander’s rival team, and a student at Frost.

While many people like the pick, there are others who think otherwise, and would rather have seen Maye get picked. “Maye has more raw talent, and fits the scheme way better than Daniels does,” said Lucas.

However, most people think that Jayden Daniels was the better pick. “Jayden Daniels is the most dynamic QB in this draft. Getting Johnny Newton and Mike Sainristal in the second round were home run picks. Watch out for the Commanders this year,” claimed Leger Douzable, summarizing the entire draft for the Commanders.

Donate to Frost Roadways and Revelations

Your donation will support the student journalists of Robert Frost Middle School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.